Close Menu
Survival Prepper StoresSurvival Prepper Stores
  • Home
  • News
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Firearms
  • Videos
What's Hot

MQ-25A Stingray cleared for deployment, says Cao

May 19, 2026

More US troop withdrawals from Europe expected, NATO commander says

May 19, 2026

Black Bear Hunter Kills a Charging Grizzly with His Rifle at 5 Yards

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Survival Prepper StoresSurvival Prepper Stores
  • Home
  • News
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Firearms
  • Videos
Survival Prepper StoresSurvival Prepper Stores
Join Us
Home » MQ-25A Stingray cleared for deployment, says Cao
News

MQ-25A Stingray cleared for deployment, says Cao

Vern EvansBy Vern EvansMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
MQ-25A Stingray cleared for deployment, says Cao

During the Senate Armed Services Committee Hearing today, Acting Secretary of the Navy, Hung Cao, announced that the MQ-25A Stingray is now moving into the low-rate initial production and deployment phase.

Boeing’s MQ-25A is the first operational carrier-based unmanned aircraft and as the Stingray enters the force, it is intended to relieve the Navy’s F/A-18 Super Hornets of their aerial refueling role.

“Integrating unmanned refueling extends the lethality of our Carrier Strike Groups and equips our force with a decisive advantage to fight and win against any adversary,” Cao wrote in a post on X.

The Stingray has reached milestone C, which in the defense acquisition process, authorizes a program to transition from the Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) phase into production and deployment — a process that in this instance has been nearly eight years in the making.

Inked in 2018, the $805 million Boeing-Navy contract covered the design, development, fabrication, test and delivery of four Stingray aircraft, a program that the service expects will cost about $13 billion for 72 aircraft, according to previous Military Times coverage.

Despite its first test flight running a year later than previously planned, on April 25 the Stingray inched closer to operability when it successfully completed its first flight from Mascoutah, Illinois.

The MQ-25A was airborne for roughly two hours, according to a Navy release, with Navy and Boeing Air Vehicle Pilots controlling the Stingray from the Unmanned Carrier Aviation Mission Control System MD-5 Ground Control Station.

“Boeing is honored to work alongside our U.S. Navy partner in achieving this historic milestone in the MQ-25A Stingray’s development life cycle,” said Troy Rutherford, vice president, Boeing MQ-25 program. “We remain focused on getting this game-changing unmanned aircraft into the hands of the fleet and integrated into the carrier air wing.”

A low-rate initial production, or LRIP, Lot 1 contract for three aircraft is expected to be awarded this summer and include priced options for Lot 2 (three aircraft) and Lot 3 (five aircraft), according to the Navy release.

The role of the MQ-25A is intended to provide the Carrier Air Wing with unmanned refueling, freeing up F/A-18E/F aircraft to focus on strike missions.

“This will expand the operational reach of the air wing while preserving the service life of F/A-18E/Fs, improving readiness across the Super Hornet fleet,” the release said.

Claire Barrett is an editor and military history correspondent for Military Times. She is also a World War II researcher with an unparalleled affinity for Sir Winston Churchill and Michigan football.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

More US troop withdrawals from Europe expected, NATO commander says

F/A-18 Super Hornet pilots practice touch-and-go landings — on Iwo Jima

Pentagon inks $500 million deal with Perennial Autonomy for counter-drone tech

Polish officials vent worries over scrapped US troop deployment

Ukraine declares its first homegrown guided aerial bomb combat-ready

Hegseth campaigns for congressional race, breaking with Pentagon neutrality

Don't Miss

More US troop withdrawals from Europe expected, NATO commander says

News May 19, 2026

PARIS — Europe should “absolutely” expect additional United States troop withdrawals in the future as…

Black Bear Hunter Kills a Charging Grizzly with His Rifle at 5 Yards

May 19, 2026

WHO Declares A Global Ebola “Emergency”

May 19, 2026

F/A-18 Super Hornet pilots practice touch-and-go landings — on Iwo Jima

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Copyright © 2026 Survival Prepper Stores. All rights reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.